Applying for Assistance

Items Needed

When you submit an application, your caseworker will give you a detailed list of the things needed to process your application. The items listed are needed for most applications. Every item may not apply to your case. Don't put off applying for benefits while collecting these items! If you are determined to be eligible for benefits, they will start the day a signed application is received in the agency. Also, your caseworker may be able to help with locating some of this information.

  • A picture identification, like a driver's license. Otherwise, bring some form of identification.
  • Social Security Cards for all household members. You will at least need the numbers when you apply.
  • Birth verification, i.e. birth certificates.
  • Proof of rent or mortgage payments.
  • Proof of utility payments at your residence.
  • Recent checking and/or savings account statements.
  • If you are employed, pay stubs for the last two months.
  • Proof of any other income including unemployment and Social Security.
  • If you pay for child care, proof of these payments.
  • If you pay or receive child support, you will need proof of this activity.
  • Special situations:
    • Applicants for Pregnancy Medicaid (MPW) need proof of their pregnancy.
    • Emergency assistance applications for power disconnection or eviction.
    • Proof that power has been disconnected or it will occur in the next 3 to 5 days.
    • Proof of eviction; can include a written note from landlord.

Additional Information

Every situation is different and you will probably be asked to provide additional items. Hopefully, this list gives you an idea of the kind of information Social Services must collect. Remember, if you put off submitting your application while you collect these items, you may be losing valuable benefits!