Loan Periods & Policies
Loan Periods and Policies:
- Most books and audiobooks are checked out out for 28 days.
- New books and materials in high demand are checked out for 14 days.
- DVDs & Blu-Rays are checked out for 7 days.
- Adults and Young Adults 13 years of age and older with parental consent may check out up to 7 DVDs per household. The library card holder must be present to check out DVDs.
If your email address is connected with you library account, the system will automatically send you a courtesy email three days before any materials are due. Three overdue notices will be sent via U.S. postal mail. Remember: Notification of overdue material is a courtesy only; you are responsible for fines and replacement costs regardless of whether you have received notification.
|Check Out Period||Amount Per Item Per Day|
|28 Day Items||10¢|
|7 or 14 Day Items (except DVDs)||25¢|
|DVDs & Blu-Rays (not renewable)||$1.00|
The maximum fine per item is $5.00. The library is much more concerned with having materials returned than with overdue fines!
Need a few extra days to finish that great book? Library materials can be renewed, as long as they have not been requested (or on hold) for another patron, by telephone or online by accessing "My Account" through the online catalog. If you need help please call your local branch for assistance.
Placing Materials on Hold:
If an item you would like is not available at our branch, or is checked out by another patron, it can be placed on hold for you. This means that you will be contacted when it comes available. Since Davidson County Public Libraries are apart of the NC Cardinal Consortium, we have the ability to request materials for you from across the state in other participating libraries. However, libraries do not exchange materials newer than 6 months.
Ways to Place a Hold:
When a Hold is Ready:
- You will have 7 days to retrieve your held item(s) - after that time, the item(s) will return to the shelf, the next person waiting, or the library it came from.
- You will be notified by phone, text, or email (whichever method you have requested) when your hold is available for pick-up.
- You will need to bring your library card, or photo ID to the lending desk to checkout your material.