Making a Report


Please call the Davidson County Department of Social Services at 336-236-3057 or come in person during regular business hours to make a report. Note: do not use the Internet "Contact Us" form as this may delay our response and could result in additional harm to the child or adult.

Those members of our society least likely to be able to take care of themselves, children and the elderly or disabled adults, are the most likely to be mistreated in some way. If you suspect abuse, neglect, exploitation or dependency, you have an obligation to report this to DSS Protective Services. Social workers from either Child Protective Services or Adult Protective Services will investigate your report.

Contacting Us

  • If you believe anyone may be at imminent risk of serious injury or death, call 911 immediately.
  • Monday through Friday, during regular business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.), call 336-236-3057 or make a report in person by coming to the Department of Social Services office on the 2nd floor of the Governmental Center.
  • After hours, on weekends, and during holidays, call the Davidson County Emergency Services Center at 336-249-0131 and ask to speak to the "on-call" Social Worker.

Making a Report

When calling to make a report please collect as much (specific) information as possible. We will be asking questions in order to determine what needs to be done in order to ensure the safety of the child(ren)/adult. Therefore, please try to provide information including:

  • Names, ages, and relationships of persons involved (perpetrators, victims, collateral who may be able to corroborate the report, etc.)
  • Contact information (addresses, phone numbers, etc.)
  • Details about the suspected abuse/neglect/exploitation/dependency
  • Any strengths and resources which could be considered assets to the family in the situation

The identity of people who make reports to the Department of Social Services will be kept strictly confidential. Reports can be made anonymously, but we will request your contact information in the event that we need your assistance at a later time. While we can not provide specific details about each case, reporters may request a written notice as to whether a report is accepted for services (or not) and what action the Department of Social Services intends to take.

When in Doubt, Report!