Marriage License Requirements

  • Applicants over 18 years of age must present a government issued, valid picture ID, driver’s license, passport, military ID or birth certificate.
  • Both parties will need to be present when applying for the marriage license if physically possible.
  • All applicants must provide Social Security numbers or sign a notarized affidavit that states "I have not been issued a social security number by the U.S. government, and I am not eligible to obtain one." If you have never been issued a Social Security number from the United States, you will need to provide two forms of government issued ID.
  • Applicants who are 16 to 17 years old must have consent from parent with full custody or both parents with joint custody or a person, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as legal guardian of the applicant. Documentation of custody, if applicable, must be presented at the time of application. They will also need a certified copy of their birth certificate.
  • Applicants who are 14 to 15 years old must present a certified copy of a court order issued by a district court judge authorizing the marriage.
  • Divorced Applicants: If one or both applicants are divorced, the month and year of the final divorce decree of the last divorce must be listed on the marriage worksheet. Copies of the decree are not required. If unsure of date, please contact the Clerk of Court in the county where the divorce was processed.

General Marriage Information

  • Marriage License application fee is $60. 
  • License issued Monday-Friday between 9am-4:30pm
  • Applicants have the option of pre-paying an additional $10 for a certified copy of your license to be mailed to you after the wedding. This can be used to have a name changed at Social Security and Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
  • License are valid for 60 days from date they are obtained from the office. ONLY valid in North Carolina.
  • Two witnesses are required for all marriage ceremonies with valid, photo ID.
  • Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate, or a federally or state recognized Indian Nation or tribe. There is no licensing or registration of someone to perform a marriage. Whether someone is ordained or authorized is a matter of their status with their religious organizations. We have no way of confirming whether someone meets any of these criteria.

Online Marriage License Application

Applicants must complete their information online prior to coming into the office can do so on the Then you must call to the office to schedule an appointment.  Both applicants will need to come into our office to complete the application process.

Magistrate Contact Information

  • Civil Phone: 336-242-6895 (By appointment only)
  • Criminal Phone: 336-242-6717